v1.1.1 - 18.12.2022
- Improve Quick Render functionality by using smoother real-time performance and full-speed rendering to file, when Echotopia is suspended. You can easily enable background throttling from the preferences, to minimize the use of system resources when Echotopia is minimized or covered entirely by another app. Background throttling will affect rendering by running slower in the background to save resources.
- Library/Presets: Avoid caching preset's tags when you switch between presets.
v1.1.0 - 11.12.2022
Major news: Echotopia is now offered with Free-For-Life Updates.
When you buy Echotopia, you get Free-For-Life updates. No more upgrade payments, subscriptions, or any hidden costs. You also get any new sound library we release. The content alone is worth it. To celebrate this new release, we offer Echotopia with new lower prices. This is a crazy offer, and we may cancel it anytime, so take it while you can, and please share the news with your friends and community.
- Scene/Editor: Introducing the Quick Render for Observer. You can export the soundscape through the Observer’s position on a Map in a wave file of up to 8 channels of surround sound.
- Scene/Editor: Area zones color selection with full palettes.
- Scene/Editor: Changed styling of Observer to be easy to spot.
- Library/Presets: Introducing the Quick Render for Preset. You can export an Area Preset from the Library, in a wave file of up to 8 channels of surround sound.
- Live: Changed styling of Observer to be easy to spot.
- New User Manual. Learn the ins and outs of Echotopia, soundscape design theory, and more, and become the soundscape master! RTFM here.
- New sound library: Medieval Towns and Villages Ambience Kit. Free update for all Storyteller, Creator, and Producer edition users. See the demo here.
- New tutorials:
- General optimizations for memory and speed.
- More consistent logic for upmix, especially for exotic channel counts.
- Assets: Replace the actual image thumbnail with a generic image thumbnail to improve loading speed and avoid unnecessary memory usage.
- Rename "Sub Mixer" to "Audio Layers Submixer".
- Rename "Explorer" to "Observer".
- Fix Inward Occlusion logic mistakes when entering/exiting an Area.
- Scene/Editor: Remove the unnecessary scrollbar on the map pane.
v1.0.4 - 23.10.2022
Echotopia v1.0.4 is now available. This update was done mostly as a critical hotfix for an issue that affected new projects that were created with Echotopia v1.0.3 and prohibited the user to create new scenes on those projects. Apart from the hotfix, we worked a lot on creating even smoother transitions when the user moves the explorer within Area Fade Zones, by morphing the acoustic simulation modules under the hood. This extra layer of smoothing works on all playback modes (simulation and live), and will help you maintain immersion and a smoother experience for your audience.
- Improve the Area's fade zone smoothness while moving the explorer to different positions for a better audio experience.
- Fix a critical issue in creating a new scene.
- Add File Dialog: Fix audio playback on add file list. Now, if you switch from an audio file while playing, to another one, the new one will start to play while the old one will stop.
- Scene/Editor: Fix the Area's Reverberation to be updated, when you add a new impulse response file or remove the existing one.
- Scene/Editor: Fix occlusion caching. When you enter the Area with occluded sound on the main zone, and then move to the Area’s fade zone, the occlusion is removed. But if you enter again the main zone, then the occlusion affects the Area that it belongs to, while it shouldn't.
v1.0.3 - 17.10.2022
On this release, we've focused on enhancing the scene editor's areas, both on management and audio playback. Now it's easier to manage scenes with a long area list by searching with free text or using the re-ordering feature with simply drag n drop. Also, we have fine-tuned the area's audio playback for more accurate scene simulation.
- Scene/Editor: Allow custom ordering on the area list. Simple dragging area between other areas, top or bottom, to switch the order, and achieve better organization and grouping.
- Scene/Editor: Search functionality with free text has been added to the area's pane. Now, by using the search field, you can easily find an area, especially on maps with multiple areas.
- Switched ordering of the file list instrument settings columns on looper and randomizer instruments. This aligns the interface with the user flow to manage the instrument.
- Scene/Editor: Fix the area's volume level on the fade zone, during scene simulation, while the area has been deselected and selected again.
- Scene/Editor: Fix the area's volume with muted and/or solo instruments, during scene simulation, while the area has been deselected and selected again.
- Scene/Editor: Handle missing map file, which was blocking the application.
- Fix license activation issues with the latest Windows versions and Windows 11.
v1.0.2 - 09.10.2022
On this release, we've revamped the process and the experience of importing and adding files to your projects and scene layers, by creating a unified File Explorer tool that you will use for any related file operation from now on.
We also liberated the way our file system works, so you are now free to choose files from any location and you don't need to import them into the project's directory to use them anymore.
Now you can add files easily from your listed library locations or from anywhere else on your computer, with a simple drag n drop, without importing those files to the project. Taking advantage of it, you can speed up your work and help you experiment faster while experimenting with your scenes and areas layers.
To boost your productivity and project-sharing capabilities, in a future update we will release a specialized tool that you will use to gather all project assets from anywhere in your computer to one project folder for archiving or sharing with others.
- Import or Add file: Library locations are available on the project's assets import and adding a file to instruments. You can choose a file from your library, and use it on your project without changing the file's locations. Similar, there is a drag n drop area, to add files from anywhere.
- The scene list is sorted alphabetically.
- Live: when you switch on Live, the opened scene on Scene Editor will be selected by default.
- Assets: Remember autoplay and loop status.
- Import or Add file: After the audio playback ends, the list item will return to the initial state.
- Fix license activation issues with the latest Windows versions and Windows 11.
- Import or Add file: Scrolling back to a file from the assets list while it was in the playback mode, was retriggering playback and couldn't be stopped.
- Scene / Editor: Avoid scene simulation caching when switching from one scene to another.
v1.0.0 - 20.09.2022
Initial public release, wooo-hooo!!!
- Remember the split panes' position on workspaces.
- Adjust the application's window position during monitor unplugging and resolution changes.
- Increase dialogs' size for better usability.
- Display a friendly message for empty lists.
- Scene/Editor: The scene name will be updated, when it has been renamed from Project / Scenes.
- Scene/Editor: Sync the map on the editor, when it has been changed from Project / Scenes.
- Scene/Editor: Stop area playing on scene simulation, when the area is deleted
- Library/Presets: Copy tags to new preset when preset is duplicated or cloned by using Save As.
- Library/Presets: Handle importing an invalid preset.
- Assets: Handle big file titles, on the file preview pane.
- Assets: Resize wave preview on windows resize.
- Scene/Editor: Enable layer instrument's buttons, when area simulation is stopped.
- Scene/Editor: Fix the randomizer's audio clipping on un-solo.
- Scene/Editor: Synchronize the area's mixer volume with the instrument's volume.
- Scene/Editor: Apply mute on instruments during scene simulation.
- Fix volume issues with zero values.
- And several more fixes.
- Scene / Editor: Remove from the area's list context menu "Move to top" and "Move to bottom", since ordering it’s not supported yet on the area list.
v0.20.0 - 11.04.2022
This release marks the last technical update before the public release, and we couldn't be more excited.
We added Global Areas, a quick way to define the sound anywhere there is not an area, and some extra types to make it super-fast for you to populate a map with sound. Much of this is discussed in this forum thread.
We also opened the occlusion module so that the user can edit it just like the reverb component. This opens up the possibilities of creativity with the use of occlusion materials like underwater, behind the veil of magic, and more. We will supply most of them but you can always search and experiment with impulse response files you can find online for free or even create your own.
A lot of love also went to the pitch-shifting algorithm we use, now it matches the behavior you regularly see in commercial game engines without hogging your CPU. We also expanded the pitch-shifting range and allowed for a more precise control using up to two decimal points.
Finally, a lot of improvements were done to the user interface and the flow of actions, plus some bugs were fixed.
Enjoy a better Echotopia, and design the soundscapes of your dreams!
- Scene Global Areas. New area types allow you to set acoustic environments with global behavior, minimizing the time to create a scene. Four new types of Global Areas are supported:
- Always: Special area that plays always, without having occlusion itself or passing through the occlusion of other areas.
- Always and Occluded: Special area that plays always, without having occlusion itself, but influenced by the occlusion settings of other areas.
- Outside All Areas: Special area which plays when the explorer is located outside of all areas.
- Inside All Areas: Special area that plays when the explorer is inside any area. It's not affected by other areas' occlusion settings, but it sets the occlusion if the other areas don't have occlusion defined. (Note: Occlusion functionality is not yet implemented, it's there to support future development, but the rest of the functionality of this global area is functional. We will add occlusion functionality in a later update).
- The occlusion area component is now open to the user. You can define your own occlusion materials using impulse response files just like with the reverb area component. We supply basic occlusion materials in our starter library and many more coming in the release of Echotopia on the versions that include our Ambience Kit and/or Designed IRs collections.
- A links section was added in settings, featuring some important links.
- New pitch-shifting algorithm. Better sound with a low CPU cost.
- Pitch-shifting range increased from 24 to 48 semitones (-24 to +24). Create monsters and special effects using common sounds.
- Pitch-shifting accuracy now can be set using 2 decimal points. Finer control of your pitch randomization.
- Pitch-shifting can now be edited during scene simulation. Makes it easier to tweak your sources' pitch with the rest of the sources.
- Performance optimizations:
- During simulation on the library preset editor, save and export is disabled. Those were causing issues in performance and file writing, so we made it safer for the user.
- During simulation on the scene editor, save/save as scene, save area as library preset, and replace area content with library preset which can be done from the inspector kebab menu, are disabled. (Pending future updates to disable those on the map and scene right-click actions).
- Better panning algorithm for the randomizer layer instrument. Now the randomized effects will sound better anywhere your audience is standing.
- Multichannel source files handling in randomizer. Randomizer now folds down any channel format input to monophonic to create better immersion in the panning randomization around the audience. We suggest you use mono files in the randomizer (to save computer resources), but if you use anything else from stereo to 7.1, the randomizer can now handle them for you.
- Library taxonomy redesign, with final taxonomy organization derived from UX experiments, better coloring, and sorting logic.
- General UI improvements in various places for consistency and productivity.
- Fast disable/enable switching on scene editor map areas was causing erratic behavior in sound mixing, this is now fixed.
- When selecting another map area in the scene editor, the audio peak meters were showing the wrong values, this is now fixed.
- In the library preset editor, in some rare cases, the simulation button could stay in stopping status forever, this is now fixed.
- In the library presets on empty folders the interface message was wrongly stating that there were no library locations available. This is fixed and it now shows that the folder is empty.
- Breaking changes:
- If you have set occlusion in the areas of your old projects, loading them using this version will lose the occlusion settings. You will have to get over your maps and set occlusion again.
- Imported presets from any older versions to the library will have the reverb settings missing. You will have to set them again.
v0.19.2 - 20.03.2022
- Library/Presets: When you edit a preset you can also save a preset using "Save As".
- Library/Presets: In the preset's list now you can also duplicate a preset.
- Scene/Editor: Now you can also save a scene using "Save As".
- Project/Scenes: Now you can duplicate a scene from the scenes' list (hover to reveal the button).
- Everywhere: Auto-highlight input field on focus to enable easy value entering.
- Layer Instruments: Autofocus on layer instrument name when adding a new looper or randomizer.
- Library/Presets: Preset can now be renamed from the preset's editor.
- Scene/Editor: You can now rename the scene directly from the editor screen.
v0.19.1 - 06.03.2022
- Fix erroneous copying of settings when importing preset to the project's area and some other cases. Our thanks go to our Echotopia Insider Koolmatt for finding the bug.
v0.19.0 - 20.02.2022
In this release, we focused on quality-of-life improvements for those working with a lot of areas on the map. Now you can work faster by saving a map area directly to your library as a preset and later recalling that preset directly from the area inspector.
New menus are added both in the inspector (kebab) and on the area itself (right-click) giving access to common actions.
We now have an optimized (and super fast) way to present huge lists of files in folders for media-rich creators.
Lastly, some inconsistencies found in the user flow and graphical interface were fixed to make the user experience smoother.
Enjoy a more functional, productive, and optimized Echotopia.
- Save the area as a library preset. Now you can save an area you made on your scene as a preset in the library to use in your projects.
- Replace area content with library preset. You can replace a scene area’s content and content settings using a preset from the library, directly from the inspector.
- New kebab menu (three-dots icon) for the area inspector, offering all basic area actions.
- New context menu by right-clicking on the actual area on the map, offering basic actions.
- Huge optimization for all folder views. Now you can browse folders containing thousands of files, fast and efficiently.
- When opening a scene for the first time the editor workspace icon was appearing unselected.
- When opening the asset manager, wait for the user to select the media type first (maps, audio, impulse responses) and then display the selected root’s content. That way the user cannot misunderstand which folder is accessed.
- Alphabetical ordering of the library locations' list on add files modal (maps, audio, and impulse responses).
- On the live workspace, the scene switcher's drop-down list had a transparent scrollbar background.
v0.18.1 - 06.02.2022
- Resize the app window with a list of common resolutions through Prefs > Interface. Very useful for streamers and teachers who do screencasts.
- Sort Library Locations in alphabetical order.
v0.18.0 - 29.01.2022
- Create area presets in the library to use throughout your projects and share with the community.
- Supports multiple locations to use different asset libraries.
- Import preset from the hard disk drive.
- Export preset to the hard disk drive.
- Easily share presets with import & export functionality.
- Include preset to an area by creating a new area. Preset's audio files will automatically be included in your project, to support project portability.
- Asset management:
- Implement a conflict policy on adding new files to your project or library. You can skip, overwrite or resolve conflicts according to your needs.
- Apply a no-data guide on empty lists to redirect you to specific list management.
- Autoselect the first element on scene & area lists.
- Remove the library path from application settings and replaced it with Library locations.
- Remove settings from the application launcher.
- Rename Prefs > Prefs to Prefs > Paths.
v0.17.7 - 26.01.2022
- In-app notifications. This is a quality-of-life improvement, Echotopia will now notify you of the status of significant actions like save, delete, and duplicate.
v0.17.6 - 15.01.2022
- Show a confirmation prompt before switching projects or closing the Echotopia application, to protect against unsaved work loss.
- Show context menu on selected files with options: Open file location, Open file with default program (if you edit using the external editor as the default program, restarting the simulation or play mode will refresh the files too).
v0.17.5 - 08.01.2022
- Selected area enhancements.
- Import automatically related metafiles (image, text), when importing impulse response to the project.
- Style file selector(adding files) modal.
- Set missing tooltips on buttons.
- Show import path on file importer modal.
- The "Open project" action redirects to the Project > Scenes tab.
- Disable the import button, while there is no file selected to be imported.
- Remove decimals from the fade zone.
v0.17.4 - 03.01.2022
- Set a static size of area pointers and text while zooming.
- Fix the fit map on different resolutions.
- Center area's text after rename.
v0.17.3 - 01.01.2022
- Support 32-bit & 64-bit installations.
- Allow renaming the same folder/file with different case sensitivity.
- Fix modal window size.
- Show impulse response (IR) description & text on addition and when it is supported.
v0.17.2 - 28.12.2021
- This is the initial closed-beta release, aimed at the Echotopia Insiders Program.