Last month on Thursday, February 10, we streamed a live Ask Me Anything session on YouTube about Soundscape Design and the host was the SoundFellas founder and lead designer Pan Athen.
If you missed it, no worries, here it is for you to enjoy.
We also separated the video into chapters according to the topics under discussion, so you can hover on the progress bar and choose the parts that interest you the most.
Ask Me Anything: Soundscape Design with Pan Athen
Here are the video chapters so you can find the ones that interest you more:
- 00:00:00 Introduction
- 00:02:25 What is Soundscape Design?
- 00:10:08 Soundscapes in Storytelling
- 00:12:18 Figuring Out what Sounds You Need
- 00:16:00 A Framework from Nature
- 00:17:57 Soundscapes in Game Design
- 00:21:30 Speaker Configuration for Gamerooms
- 00:27:54 How to Use Stereo Material with Multichannel Speaker Configurations?
- 00:31:45 Ambisonics in Echotopia Soundscape Designer
- 00:34:15 Echotopia Experience Sharing with Other Players Online
- 00:45:46 What Inspired You to Make Soundscape Tools?
- 00:49:02 Which Audio Plugins Do You Use?
- 00:54:24 How Do You Approach Ultrasound or Infrasound?
- 00:59:28 Multimodality and Sound Design
- 01:00:58 Do You Have any Professional Tips on Collecting Soundscapes?
- 01:07:35 Soundscapes in Architecture and Interior Design
- 01:13:15 How SoundFellas Produce Soundscape Libraries and Ambience Kits?
- 01:18:00 Do You Recommend a Specific Portable Recorder?
- 01:19:25 Which Application Do You Use to Create 3D Environment Prototypes?
- 01:21:44 Which Acoustic Phenomena Echotopia Simulates?
- 01:22:12 Occlusion Simulation in Echotopia Acoustics Module
- 01:23:09 Autoaural and Heteroaural Spaces - A Novel Soundscape Categorization
- 01:29:48 A Simple Natural Acoustics Example in Echotopia
- 01:33:57 How Important Is Reverberation?
- 01:36:05 Echotopia Interoperability with Unreal Engine and other Game Engines
- 01:40:52 Echotopia Interoperability with Other Dynamic Technologies for Storytelling
- 01:42:29 Echotopia with MIDI and OSC for Control and Audiovisuals
- 01:43:23 The Future of Dynamic Storytelling and the Creative Industries
- 01:45:20 The Future of the Professional Soundscape Designer
- 01:47:00 How to Use Soundscape Design in Music Production?
- 01:47:28 Soundscape Priming and Affordance as an Artistic Medium in Music
- 01:54:50 Soundscape Design as a Mixing and Mastering Decision Tool
- 02:01:10 Outro and acknowledgments
- 02:05:06 Closing Message
Why do an AMA about soundscape design?
Soundscapes are the pillar of your story and one of the most difficult content to create with consistency with the rest of your story.
For the last 4 years, our team here at the SoundFellas Immersive Audio Labs has created the Echotopia Soundscape Designer, a specialized audio sequencer that helps you create immersive acoustic environments.
Echotopia is going to be released at the beginning of the second quarter of 2022. To celebrate that, we are starting a series of actions to educate all creatives about the importance and the intricacies of soundscape design.
Which creatives should be interested?
Everybody that uses soundscapes in their creations was welcome to join this live AMA session and ask us anything about them.
Some of the experts that this session might interest are:
- Music producers
- Sound designers
- Game developers
- VR and metaverse specialists
- Architects and interior designers
- Yoga and meditation studio owners
- Theater sound designers
- Theme park experts
- Exhibition specialists
- Escape room creators
- Boardgame masters...
...And anyone else that uses soundscapes in their creations. Even writers or comic book artists who like to describe the acoustic environment in their stories.
What if I have more questions now that the event is finished?
We encourage you to post any questions you may have on our Forum.
What to do from here?
Stay tuned for the next one. You can subscribe to our newsletter and get notifications so you never miss our events.